Historic 10-Acre Flat Rock Estate
An historic treasure handed down in the family, Tuctaway is one of the last remaining authentic Flat Rock summer homes. Held in the same family for more than half a century, this timeless 10-acre property features a private entrance and idyllic estate grounds. The 1893 residence, once the home of Dunroy’s Mrs. Julius Heyward, offers a genteel ambiance with rocking chair front porch plus original woodwork and fireplaces. The property also includes a guest cottage, artist’s cottage and pool house. This rare property is deal for the discerning buyer with an appreciation for quiet elegance and historic preservation.
The Approach |
Entering Tuctaway at the ivy-covered brick columns, you’ll follow a winding gravel road through the woodlands and up to the estate residence. The sound of gravel and the shade of tall trees lining the drive evoke memories of coming home.
The Residence |
Regal and timeless, this grand historic home stands like a jewel at the center of the estate property. Tall windows, shutters and breezy wraparound front porch recalls a slower and more gracious time. The two-story farmhouse style residence offers generously-sized rooms with high ceilings and fireplaces. Used for over a century as a beloved summer home where family members and guests spent easy days and peaceful nights, the residence offers five bedrooms, three full baths and one half bath. This one-of-a-kind home offers a rare setting in the center of Flat Rock where you can re-create the simple lifestyle of a true mountain estate.
The Foyer |
Airy and light, the foyer welcomes family and guests through wide double screen doors and original double front doors of the home. High ceilings and a hallway with oak floors and picture molding lead into the main level of the home.
Living Room |
The living room features a period fireplace with tile surround and a charming bay window with built-in seating. Notice the oak floors and deep molding.
Family Room |
This grand room features a wide bay window, a vintage fireplace and oak floors. Notice the wall sconces, original doors, and picture molding.
Functional but quaint, this period kitchen offers standard appliances, double sink and tall window. The room provides the ideal space for your own remodel.
The dining room at Tuctaway features high wood ceilings, a period light fixture, large windows and a built-in floor-to-ceiling china cabinet.
Master Suite |
Located on the main level of the home, the master suite features a fireplace and a beautiful south-facing bay window that draws in the sun throughout the day. The master also includes a closet and ensuite full bath.
Guest Bedrooms |
The house includes four guest bedrooms, two on the main level and two on the upper level. The main level guest room boasts a fireplace while all rooms feature oak floors, and large, sunny windows overlooking private estate views.
Porches & Views |
The wide wraparound porch at Tuctaway provides a vintage setting where rocking chairs and guests are always welcomed. The screened side porch provides south facing views and double door entry into the main hallway of the home.
Artist's Cottage |
With its tin roof and board siding, this charming artist’s cottage is ideal for crafts projects, a workshop or a children’s playhouse.
Guest Cottage |
Tucked beneath large shade trees near the back of the property, the quaint guest cottage includes a covered porch, living room, kitchen, bath and two bedrooms.
Pool House |
This vintage structure near the in-ground pool provides a covered area for picnics plus a large closed storage space.
The Grounds |
The idyllic grounds of Tuctaway recall the gracious ambiance of Flat Rock in the 1900s. The massive oak trees, tall pines, flowering dogwoods, mature hedges, and rolling lawns provide a setting that brings to past to life amid nature’s wonder. Enjoy 10.28 acres of private splendor in the timeless landscape of this historic Flat Rock estate.
The Location |
Poised in the center of the Village of Flat Rock, across from the Flat Rock Theater and adjacent to Bonclarken Conference Center, Tuctaway boasts an unsurpassed location. The Carl Sandburg National Historic Site is right around the corner. From the estate, it’s only 3 miles to downtown Hendersonville and 3 miles to I-26. The Asheville Regional Airport (AVL) is only 15 miles away. With shopping and dining located within 1 mile, the estate also offers proximity to numerous outdoors and cultural centers including DuPont State Forest, Pisgah National Forest, the Brevard Music Center and the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Summary of Features
- Built in 1893
- 5 bedrooms; 4 full baths;1 half bath
- Approximately 2727 square feet of living space
- Once served as the home of Dunroy’s Mrs. Julius Heyward
- Two-story historic summer estate home
- Wrap around rocking chair front porch
- Screened porch
- Alarm system
- Authentic historic styling and amenities
- Welcoming foyer with double door entry and high ceiling
- Living room with fireplace, oak floors and bay window
- Large family room with fireplace, oak floors, wall sconces and large bay window
- Period kitchen with double sink and standard appliances, ideal space for your remodel
- Dining room with built-in floor-to-ceiling china cabinet, period light fixture and wood walls and ceiling
- Master suite with fireplace, oak floors, sunny bay window and ensuite full bath
- Four guest rooms, two on the main level and two upstairs, all with large windows and private views
- 10.28 level to rolling acres
- Exceptional privacy in the center of historic Flat Rock
- Winding gravel driveway accesses all buildings
- Charming artist’s cottage
- In-ground pool and pool house
- 2-bedroom guest cottage
- Mature shade trees
- Easy care landscaping
- Located across from the Flat Rock Playhouse in Flat Rock, North Carolina
- Located adjacent to Bonclarken Conference Center
- 3 miles to downtown Hendersonville NC
- 3 miles to I-26
- 15 miles to the Asheville Regional Airport (AVL)
- 13 miles to DuPont State Forest
- 15 miles to Pisgah National Forest
- 23 miles to Brevard NC
- 27 miles to Asheville NC
- 35 miles to downtown Greenville, SC
- 38 miles to Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport (GSP)
MLS | North Carolina Mountains MLS 539231
Price | Reduced from $1,100,000 to $950,000 SOLD!
Contact | To schedule a private showing, please
contact Sheelah Clarkson.
or call Sheelah