74-Acre Legacy Property in Hendersonville NC
Discover Skybrook Farm, an historic landmark with vintage charm, the ideal palette for your dream project. The 74-acre 1940s farm features French Broad river frontage, bold creek, natural waterfall, 6 pastures, 3-board fencing, and open fields. The property boasts a collection of massive iconic barns with brick foundations, exquisite construction and metal roof plus office, workshop, repair garage, historic log cabin, main residence, all with good bones and ready for upfit. The perfect recreational resort setting, this property is ideal for a craft brewery, glamping resort, wedding venue, event center, riverfront venue. City water and electricity onsite. Natural gas line runs along the property on Cummings Road. Skybrook Farm is poised in the “sweet spot” between Brevard and Hendersonville, just off U.S. 64, 2 miles to Horse Shoe and Etowah, 6 miles to Mills River, 8 miles to Hendersonville, 10 miles to Asheville Airport, 10 miles to 2 entrances of Pisgah National Forest, 12 miles to DuPont Forest.
The Main Barns |
This collection of iconic barns, constructed in the 1940s, represents a magnificent storied past when the entire valley ran on the economic engine of dairy farms and large agricultural operations. Today, these stately barns feature solid construction and an ideal setting for a variety of creative projects. The horse barn (far right) is the largest barn and features a center aisle with herringbone brick, 15 stalls, tack room with bath, and storage area. The massive upper loft of this barn was once used for square dance competitions. The other barns include the cow barn with center aisle, brick foundation, and metal roof as well as the Milking barn and the smaller calf barn, both with brick and wood construction.
Barn Interiors |
The barns feature sturdy construction and practical design. Note the brick foundations and brick center aisle with herringbone brick in the largest barn. The upper level hayloft (the “haymow”) in the two largest barns provide an abundance of useable space.
Bull Barn |
Located in a private setting separate from the central farm structures, the bull barn features an alluring design and solid construction, ideal for upfit as a vacation rental or artist’s studio.
Also known as “The Bunk House, this building has been used as the farm office and as a vacation rental. The building includes a kitchen, dining area, bath, large room with wood floors and wood paneling, plus upper level storage.
With covered equipment storage on both ends, the workshop is a central structure on Skybrook Farm. This building offers wood frame construction, concrete floor, shingle roof, and brick foundation. Currently the workshop is set up to provide farm repairs, welding, and sand blasting.
Maintenance Garage |
This spacious building provides high ceilings for farm machinery storage. Notice the massive space, wood frame, concrete floors, and steel beams.
Main Residence |
Poised on the hillside above the farm, this 1940s-era house offers good bones for restoration. The house has three bedrooms with pine paneling, cedar closets and wood floors. The spacious living room boasts a stone fireplace, pine paneling, and wood floors. In the dining room, you’ll find a clever wet bar plus large windows. The rocking chair porch includes the craftsmanship of stonework of the era and views overlooking the farm.
Log Cabin |
The log cabin is tucked away in a private creekside setting near the waterfall. The cabin has a stone fireplace, large open room and full bath as well as a covered picnic area.
This bold, natural waterfall is one of the favorite spots on Skybrook Farm.
A bold mountain stream runs through the farm property near the log cabin and down to the French Broad River, providing both charm and natural beauty to the property.
French Broad River |
Skybrook Farm offers approximately a half mile of frontage on the French Broad River. The rich bottom lands along the river are currently in agricultural use. This is the perfect setting for a riverfront recreational venue.
Constructed in the early 1940s, Skybrook Farm was home to pedigreed Guernsey cows including Rose Maxim and Quail Roost Maxim’s Meford. In 1947, Rose Maxim’s Fairy Lady, 4-year-old junior butterfat champion from Skybrook Farm, sold for $2,050, one of the highest prices ever paid for a Guernsey cow of that day. The farm also served as a center of recreation and social events, including regional square dancing competitions which were held in the upper loft of the largest barn. The farm’s own square dance team, the Skybrook Dancers, won the grand championship at the 19th annual Mountain Dance and Folk Festival. Musicians playing at the Skybrook Farm barn dances included Gus Johnson and his string band, Vernon Rogers’ Blue Sky Rangers and Lon Brookshire’s Orchestra. The annual Skybrook Farm barbeque drew as many as 2,000 people from around the state to enjoy barbeque, square dancing and music.
With its easy access and ideal location near Hendersonville and the Asheville Airport, Skybrook Farm offers a wide range of uses. Potential uses include a camp or outdoor center, craft brewery, glamping (glamorous camping) resort, a wedding venue, event center, corporate retreat, artisan’s village, equestrian center, agricultural showcase, eclectic private estate, investment property or 1031 exchange property.
The Location |
Poised in the “sweet spot” between Hendersonville, Brevard, and Mills River, Skybrook Farm is within 2 miles of Horse Shoe, Etowah, and the Cummings Cove Golf & Country Club; 6 miles to Mills River NC; 8 miles to downtown Hendersonville; and 10 miles to I-26 and the Asheville Regional Airport as well as Flat Rock NC and two entrances of Pisgah National Forest. It’s just 12 miles to downtown Brevard and the Brevard Music Center, 14 miles to the Blue Ridge Parkway and the North Carolina Arboretum and 20 miles to Asheville, the Biltmore Estate and Caesar’s Head State Park.
Summary of Features
- 74.6 Acres
- Level to rolling terrain
- Mountain views
- French Broad River frontage
- Natural waterfall
- Bold stream runs through the farm property
- 6 pastures with established grass and 3-board fencing
- Open fields for hay and agricultural use
- Outdoor riding ring
- Interior network of established roads
- Cummings Road divides the riverfront acreage from the rest of the farm
- Easily accessed from major U.S. 64, just off of Cummings Road
- Electricity on site
- City water on site
- Natural gas line runs along the property on Cummings Road
- Horse barn with metal roof, brick foundation, center aisle with herringbone brick, 15 stalls, tack room, bath and storage room plus massive hay loft once used for square dance competitions
- Cow barn with metal roof, brick foundation, open lower area plus massive hay loft
- Milking barn with 2 stories
- Calf barn with brick construction and 2 stories
- Bull barn with wood structure, brick foundation, and private setting apart from the main complex of barns
The Farm Buildings
- Main residence, circa 1940s, set on a hilltop with mountain views, three bedrooms, stone fireplace, knotty pine paneling, wood floors, stonework, rocking chair porch. This home has been used as a weekend getaway and as a vacation rental.
- Log cabin with one room and bath, metal roof, stone fireplace, covered picnic area and Creekside setting near the waterfall. This home has also been used as a rental.
- The Office, also known as “The Bunkhouse” is a wood frame structure with a kitchen, bath, dining area and large room with wood paneling. This building has been used as the farm office and also as a vacation rental.
- The Workshop with wood frame, concrete floor, brick foundation, and covered areas on both ends for equipment storage. This building is currently used for welding and sand blasting as well as basic workshop repairs
- The Maintenance Garage with high ceilings, steel beams, concrete floor, brick foundation, wood frame and shingle roof. This building has an extra tall entry for farm vehicles.
Skybrook Farm is the ideal palette for your dream project.
- Camp or outdoor center
- Craft brewery
- Glamping resort
- Wedding venue
- Event center
- Corporate retreat
- Artisan’s village
- Equestrian center
- Agricultural showcase
- Eclectic private estate
- Investment property or 1031 exchange property
Skybrook Farm is located in the “sweet spot” between Hendersonville, Brevard, and Mills River.
- 2 miles to Cummings Cove Golf & Country Club
- 2 miles to Horse Shoe NC
- 2 miles to Etowah NC
- 3 miles to Etowah Valley Golf Club
- 6 miles to Mills River NC
- 8 miles to downtown Hendersonville
- 10 miles to I-26
- 10 miles to the Asheville Regional Airport
- 10 miles to Flat Rock Playhouse
- 10 miles to Pisgah National Forest (to both Pisgah Forest entrance near Brevard NC and Mills River area near Mills River NC)
- 12 Miles to DuPont State Forest
- 12 miles to downtown Brevard
- 14 miles to Brevard Music Center
- 14 miles to the Blue Ridge Parkway
- 14 miles to the North Carolina Arboretum
- 20 miles to the Green River Game Lands
- 20 miles to Asheville
- 20 miles to the Biltmore Estate
- 20 miles to Caesar’s Head State Park and Mountain Bridge Wilderness Area
MLS | Carolina MLS 3409411
Price | Offered at $1,950,000 SOLD!
Contact | For details, please contact Steve Martyn.
or call Steve