Historic Chic Designer Cottage
Druid Hills Home in Hendersonville NC
This classic1925 Druid Hills cottage, newly transformed to an urban chic designer home, features the ultimate contemporary restoration with plenty of light, high end finishes and tasteful detailing. Notice the unique eyebrow dormers, arched doorways, oak floors, fireplace, French doors with transoms, exposed wood beams, ultimate designer kitchen, Carerra marble countertops, and large, sunny master suite. Outside, enjoy private fenced back yard, off street parking, reclaimed brick walkways and Pennsylvania bluestone front porch. This alluring home offering vision, style and urban chic design, is in pristine move-in condition.
The Residence |
Known as the James T. Faine house, this 1925 bungalow served as the residence of the Hendersonville Times-News editor/publisher James Toole Faine, Sr. and his wife, Annie. The unusual vernacular Bungalow style features a gable roof with eyebrow dormers and French doors on either side of the brick chimney. Fully renovated in 2010, the home boasts extensive updates including new roof with architectural shingles, new foundation walls, Energy Star windows and architecturally-designed interiors.
The Foyer |
You’ll be welcomed into this charming cottage through the bright foyer with its wide front door, poplar shiplap walls and wood beam ceiling. A handsome arched doorway leads directly into the living room.
Living Room |
This remarkable living space offers a clean, contemporary feel with a showcase of historic features. Light streams in from the unique eyebrow dormer windows, two sets of French doors with transoms and double side windows. The room boasts oak floors, vaulted ceiling with exposed beams, and wood burning fireplace with gas starter. The surround for the eyebrow dormer windows makes use of the home’s original oak flooring.
This is your dream kitchen come true. Light and bright, this sleek designer kitchen features a stainless KitchenAid appliance package that includes a side-by-side refrigerator, dishwasher, and gas stove with hood. A wall of windows over the counters faces the wall of subway tile above the cooking and prep area. The room includes undermount sink with Grohe faucet, Carerra countertops, custom metal shelving, built-in wine storage and tasteful lighting fixtures, including the Restoration Hardware light above the table.
Breakfast Nook |
Located in the corner of the kitchen, this charming nook boasts built-in glass front cabinets, built-in seating, unique designer lighting and two windows with natural lighting.
With a gracious arched doorway, exposed beams and large windows, the formal dining room offers the perfect venue for family meals or guest entertainment. You’ll enjoy tasteful designer touches such as the built-in plate rack crafted of reclaimed wood from the home’s renovation and the clever light fixture.
Master Bedroom |
Sunny and spacious, this delightful master bedroom features a wall of windows opening out to the private back yard. Notice the beamed ceilings, oak floors and designer ceiling fan.
Master Bath |
Enter the master bath though the sliding barn door. Chic and stylish, this bath features stunning reclaimed European stone floors plus a double vanity with Carerra marble countertops and undermount sinks with Kohler faucets. Notice the designer lighting and subway tile walls. In the shower, you’ll enjoy handsome glass tile walls and two Rain Head showerheads.
Guest Bedrooms | Located off the hallway and adjacent to the guest bath, the guest room features three windows that capture the morning sun, oak hardwood floors, ceiling fan and large closet. From this room, you’ll enjoy views to both the side and back of the home.
Guest Bath |
Relax in style. This handsome guest bath offers a large soaking tub with built-in tile shelving, handsome subway tile. The stylish vanity boasts Carerra marble countertops and undermount sink. The room is finished out with stylish wall sconces and Carerra marble floors.
Family Room |
The den offers a private space, ideal for family entertainment or home office. Notice the oak floors, ceiling fan and sunny triple windows.
Back Yard |
Private and shady, this pleasing back yard is level and fully fenced with custom privacy fencing and custom gates, perfect for your dogs. Enjoy easy care landscaping and an attractive terraced area plus reclaimed brick walkways and cute patio area for outdoor dining or relaxation. The back entrance offers a small covered deck for outdoor grilling. This door leads into the mud room while a handsome glass door at the side of the home provides private entrance into the master suite.
Private Parking |
This cottage includes a paved driveway and off street parking. Notice the hemlock hedge designed for privacy.
The Community |
The James T. Faine House is located in the Druid Hills Historic District of Hendersonville, North Carolina. Platted in 1923, Druid Hills exemplifies a park-like plan, complete with mature trees, curvilinear streets, and open spaces. The community’s architectural style ranges from Tudor Revival to Craftsman Bungalow and Colonial Revival.
The Location |
This charming residence is within walking distance of Hendersonville’s Patton Park and the Oklawaha Greenway as well as shopping and dining. The quaint shops, restaurants and museums on historic Main Street in downtown Hendersonville are only 1 mile away. From this cottage, it’s an easy drive to I-26, only 3 miles away, or the Asheville Regional Airport, only 10 miles away. Centrally located, the home offers proximity to the numerous arts, cultural and outdoor venues in the Hendersonville area.
Summary of Features
- Built in 1925
- 2 bedrooms; 2 full baths
- Approximately 1889 square feet of living space
- Known as the James T. Fain house (editor of the Times-News)
- Exterior of brick and cypress clapboard siding
- One-level living
- Extensive exterior brickwork
- Stunning Pennsylvania bluestone front porch
- Small covered back deck for outdoor grilling
- Back patio for outdoor dining
- Architectural shingles
- Copper eyebrow dormers
- New foundation walls
- New roof 2010
- Energy Star windows 2010
- Wired for sound
- Pristine, move-in condition
- Designer home with complete architectural restoration by Nathan Cuttle Design
- Plenty of natural light throughout the home
- Oak hardwood floors
- Custom ceiling, crown moldings and base moldings
- Foyer with painted poplar shiplap walls and exposed wood beams
- Living room with unique eyebrow dormers, shiplap ceilings and exposed beams, wood burning fireplace with gas starter, French doors with transoms
- Delightful arched doorways
- Designer kitchen with stainless KitchenAid appliances, undermount sink, custom cabinetry, Carrera marble countertops, glass cabinets, custom pendant lighting
- Formal dining room with built-in plate rack, exposed beams, large windows and natural light
- Sunny master bedroom with oak floors, wall of windows to back yard, glass door to private patio, custom barn door built from shed siding
- Master bath with reclaimed European stone floor, double vanity with Carerra marble countertops, designer lighting, subway tile walls, glass tile wall in shower
- Guest bath with Carerra marble countertops and floors, soaker tub, subway tile and wainscot trim
- Mudroom accessed from back yard with large sink, cabinet and washer/dryer hookups
- .21 acre lot
- Lovely reclaimed brick walkways
- Private driveway and off-street parking with hemlock hedge for privacy
- Large backyard with custom privacy fence and gates
- Water feature
- Fescue sod and irrigation
- Lush, easy care landscape with magnolias and rose bushes
- Fenced back yard for dogs
- Located in Hendersonville’s historic Druid Hills community
- Walking distance to Patton Park
- Walking distance to Hendersonville’s Oklawaha Greenway
- Walking distance to dining and shopping
- Only 1 mile to Main Street in downtown Hendersonville
- 3 miles to I-26
- 10 miles to Asheville Regional Airport (AVL)
- Proximity to the arts, cultural sites, parks and outdoor venues
MLS | North Carolina Mountains MLS 515179
Price | Offered at $325,000 SOLD!
Contact | To schedule a private showing, contact Sheelah Clarkson
or call Sheelah