Bald Mountain Estate
320-Acre Legacy Property at Lake Lure near Asheville NC
Bordered by conservancy lands and state park lands, Bald Mountain Estate is an exemplary 320-acre trophy property. Held in the same family for 60 years, this unsurpassed private estate features a majestic setting with panoramic mountain views, gated entrance, main residence overlooking a bold mountain stream, authentic 1860s log cabin, caretaker’s quarters, and guest quarters. Ideal for equestrians, the property also includes fenced pastures for horses, two barns, workshop and private trails on the property. The boathouse with private drive and lakefront building lot on Lake Lure offers endless opportunity for waterfront recreation on western North Carolina’s most beautiful 720-acre mountain lake. Enjoy resort amenities in Rumbling Bald Resort.
The Approach |
Bald Mountain farm is accessed by a handsome gated entrance with stone columns. The private paved drive winds through rich woodlands before leading out into a spectacular private valley boasting open pastures and unsurpassed mountain views. From there, the driveway passes by an historic 1860’s log cabin and follows a classic white fence up to the main residence.
The Residence |
The main residence is poised on a hilltop overlooking the private valley with long range views of the mountains beyond. Surrounded by towering native trees and flanked by a bold mountain stream, the home offers stone walkways and stone patios at the front and side of the house. Built in 1939 by celebrated museum administrator Leslie Cheek, heir to the Maxwell House Coffee fortune, the residence was used by the Cheek family as a safe-haven during WWII. In the 1970s, the home was extensively remodeled by its new owners. The residence includes an open main level, a full basement, and 5 bedrooms on the upper level. The grounds surrounding the home offer a pastoral setting with bold stream, flowerbeds, and underground sprinkler system.
The Interiors |
Inside, the home features a two-story great room with a massive floor-to-ceiling stone fireplace and a wall of glass overlooking the bold stream. The great room provides easy access to the stone patios as well as the dining area, kitchen and main level office. From this room, you’ll experience 270-degree views of mountains, woodlands, and the rushing stream. The kitchen features tile floors, built-in cabinetry, butcher block center island, double wall ovens, two stainless sinks, stainless dishwasher, and Sub Zero refrigerator plus views to the front and back of the house. At one end of the kitchen is a handy laundry room and at the other is a breakfast nook at the window. The lower level also includes a formal dining area open to the great room, a full bath, a wet bar and seating area, and an office with stone fireplace and windows overlooking the mountain stream. Both the upper level bedrooms and the lower level full basement are easily accessed by staircase from the main level.
The Farm |
This picturesque farm spreads across the private valley with open pastureland crossed by fencing and flanked by magnificent mountains. The farm buildings include two barns for livestock, equipment storage, and hay storage. The large barn, approximately 40 feet by 100 feet, includes 16 stalls and hay loft. The small barn includes 4 more stalls. Additional buildings include the workshop with concrete floor and tool storage, a chicken coop, and a garage. The farm currently maintains a full vegetable garden and a herd of Hereford and black angus cattle. With acres of rolling land, fenced pasture, and private trails on the property, the farm is also ideal for horses. Equestrians will also appreciate the proximity of Bald Mountain Estate to the Tryon International Equestrian Center, only 19 miles away.
The Land |
Surrounded by conservation land and state park land, Bald Mountain Estate offers 320 acres of pristine land with a variety of terrain, from the private valley with acres of rolling pasture and established grass to rich woodlands with old growth native trees to year-round mountain streams and high meadows surrounded by exquisite mountain peaks. The acreage includes on-site trails for hiking, ATVs, and horseback riding.
Live Water |
Two large creeks run through Bald Mountain Estate including the bold stream which runs beside the main residence. This clear mountain water is plentiful and runs live all year round. You’ll find some ideal spots for fishing, wading, and establishing your own swimming hole.
Caretaker's Cottage |
Located next to the main residence and accessed by a porte-cochère
, this structure is a convenient addition to the property. The structure includes guest quarters with two bedrooms and one bath. The “lodge room” with stone fireplace, kitchen, wet bar, and laundry is located in the center. The far end of the structure features a four-car carport and the caretaker’s quarters with two bedrooms and two full baths.
Historic Log Cabin |
This authentic historic log cabin built circa 1860 has been extensively remodeled and is currently used as a short term vacation rental property. Outside, the cabin offers a traditional wood shingle roof, stone foundation, covered front porch, and stone steps. Inside, the cabin features a full kitchen, cozy dining area, and living room with stone fireplace. Notice the oak floors, wood paneling and satellite TV. The upstairs level includes a private bedroom, bath, and sleeping loft. This charming cabin offers a tranquil setting with views across the estate’s pastures.
Boathouse & Lake Lot |
The delightful boathouse on Lake Lure offers an idyllic setting for waterfront activities such as boating, water skiing, kayaking, fishing and swimming. The boathouse includes two boat slips and a great party deck with views across the cove to the Rumbling Bald beach and marina. With a private entrance, totally level terrain, desirable privacy, and nearly 1 acre of land, this very buildable lakefront lot an ideal site for your new lake home. Since the boathouse lot is located in Rumbling Bald Resort, the owner of Bald Mountain Estate can enjoy all resort amenities including four restaurants, two golf courses, two pro shops, three swimming pools, private beach and marina, wellness center, tennis courts, hiking and biking trails, and a clubhouse on Lake Lure.
The Possibilities |
This 320-acre one-of-a-kind legacy property is ideal for a private estate, cattle farm, or private equestrian estate. With easy accessibility and numerous building sites, the property has the potential to be developed as a residential community, a world class retreat center, or active retirement center.
Development Potential |
For developers, the 320-acre property offers strong potential. Access to existing water and sewer is available. The R-3 Resort Residential zoning allows for a variety of land uses including residential subdivision, retirement facilities, motel/hotel, condominiums, and recreational resort facilities. The Lake Lure setting provides a wealth of opportunity for attracting second home buyers, retirees, lake enthusiasts, resort property buyers, and those interested in owning property near the Tryon International Equestrian Center. Property ownership also transfers the rights to use all roads in the adjacent golf resort on Lake Lure.
The Location |
Bald Mountain Estate is located at Lake Lure, North Carolina adjacent to Rumbling Bald Resort. The estate is just 19 miles from the Tryon International Equestrian Center, 25 miles from Hendersonville NC, and 35 miles from the eclectic city of Asheville.
Summary of Features
- Built in 1939; Remodeled in the 1970s
- Originally built by Leslie Cheek, heir to the Maxwell House Coffee fortune
- 5 bedrooms; 3 full baths; 1 half bath
- Approximately 3,532 square feet of living space
- Stone patios to the front and back of the home
- Two-story great room with a massive floor-to-ceiling stone fireplace
- Formal dining room with views across the valley
- Kitchen with tile floors, built-in cabinetry, butcher block center island, double wall ovens, stainless appliances and Sub Zero refrigerator
- Wet bar and TV seating area
- Office with stone fireplace
- Upper level with five bedrooms
- Full basement
- Magnificent views across the farm
- Mountain stream running next to the home provides the soothing sound of natural water running year round
- Large 30-foot X 80-foot barn with 16 stalls and hay loft
- Small barn with 4 stalls and plenty of storage space
- Workshop with concrete floors
- Chicken coop
- Vegetable garden
- Fenced pastures on the lower valley
- Currently home to a herd of Hereford and black angus cattle
The Caretaker's Quarters
- 320 acres in a pristine valley surrounded by mountains
- Flanked by conservation land and state park land
- Acres of level to rolling fenced pasture for horses or cattle
- Lower pastures and upper pastures
- Year round live water including a bold stream adjacent to the main residence
- Exquisite year round mountain views
- Private gated entrance
- Multiple homesites with spectacular views
The Historic Log Cabin
- Connected to main residence via a covered porte-cochère
- 2-bedroom, 1-bath guest quarters
- 2-bedroom, 2-bath caretaker’s quarters
- 4-car attached garage
- “Lodge Room” with recreation room, stone fireplace, full kitchen, laundry and wet bar
Private Boathouse and Lakefront Lot
- Built circa 1860
- Extensive renovation
- Complete kitchen with refrigerator, stove, dishwasher
- Dining area
- Living room with stone fireplace and wood paneling
- Upper level with bedroom, bath and sleeping loft
- Covered front porch
- Stone foundation
- Plenty of parking
- Private setting with pastoral views
- Currently used as a short term vacation rental
Rumbling Bald Resort Amenities
- Boathouse with two boat slips and a party deck
- Level .94-acre building site
- Private entrance and private drive
- Stunning views across the cove to Rumbling Bald beach and marina
- Ideal site for building a lakefront home
- Two championship golf courses
- Two pro shops
- Four restaurants
- Three swimming pools
- Private beach and marina
- Wellness center
- Tennis courts
- Hiking and biking trails
- Located in Lake Lure, NC
- 19 miles to the Tryon International Equestrian Center
- 25 miles to Hendersonville NC
- 35 miles to Asheville NC
- 20 miles to Rutherford County Airport (private)
- 35 miles to Asheville Regional Airport
- 58 miles to Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport
- 83 miles to Charlotte Douglas International Airport
MLS | North Carolina Mountains MLS 3216697
Price | Offered at $7,500,000
Contact | For details, please contact Steve Martyn or Sheelah Clarkson
or call Steve
or call Sheelah
Contact Form |
You may also contact us by using the contact form below.